If you are someone who has a problem with premature ejaculation, recent statistics show that it affects almost 1 of every 3 men between the ages of 18 and 59. It is a problem that directly impacts a man’s self-esteem and the general relationship with his partner. It can also be the psychological reason of erectile dysfunction, more commonly known as ED.
Because the problem is widely recognized in the medical community, a significant amount of research has been done and there are solutions available for virtually every man. The best way to solve the problem is by arming yourself with the necessary knowledge to find the solution that is best for you. This article is designed to do exactly that.
What is premature ejaculation?
The basic medical definition of premature ejaculation (PE) is when during sex a man ejaculates sooner than he or his partner desires. But for the individual man the problem is more complex than this because what is “too soon” for one man and his partner is subjective. Therefore, for a correct medical diagnosis to be made that actually identifies the specific medical problem of PE requires openness and honesty between doctor and patient. Additionally, to practically deal with the problem requires both the patient and their partner to communicate their expectations and feelings, and decide on what are reasonable expectations based on the existing evidence. Medical science can provide biological solutions, but both the man and his partner need to be satisfied with the achievable results.
Causes of premature ejaculation
The first step in arriving at a solution is to recognize the underlying cause or causes of premature ejaculation. Though no single cause of PE has been identified, there are three known major causes for PE, each requiring a different medical diagnosis and approach.
There is a chemical that your body’s nervous system produces called serotonin. This substance has been linked to the length of time it takes for a man to reach the point of ejaculation. Existing research indicates lower levels of serotonin in the brain results in a quicker ejaculation. From a layperson’s perspective, the simple solution is to find a way to increase the amount of serotonin in the body to restore a normal balance.
After discussing some of the medical research conducted in the following section, we will discuss some ways of increasing serotonin production both naturally and through the use of medication. This gives you a variety of approaches to solving the problem in a way that is compatible with your individual lifestyle.
In discussing the psychological causes of premature ejaculation you need to be aware that several of the causes can be interconnected. There is a positive and negative side to this issue. On the positive side, identifying a single cause can result in unravelling other psychological problems that not only are the cause of PE but other problems you are dealing with. On the negative side, it may take more time to reveal the underlying cause because of the complexity of the problem.
Among the psychological causes of PE are:
- Temporary depression – One thing to realize about this problem is because it is temporary, your premature ejaculation problem may also be temporary.
- Stress – More accurately, this should be described as excessive stress. Everyone has a certain amount of normal stress in their lives. Consider that the excessive stress may be the very problem that is causing the premature ejaculation.
- Guilt – If you are feeling guilty about your existing premature ejaculation problem this obviously makes things worse. PE as a result of guilt in the relationship problem may be compounding the problem.
- Unrealistic expectations – This can include your sexual performance but also can be the result of pressure by a partner.
- A history of sexual repression – A long history of feeling inhibited during sex can naturally result in guilt or excessive stress unconnected to your current relationship.
- General lack of confidence – This can cross over from an overall lack of confidence to specific relationship issues such as sex or problem resolution.
A quick read of these issues will reveal how easily psychological problems can be interconnected and be the underlying cause of premature ejaculation.
This is the medical term for aging. As men grow older their erections may not be as firm and they may simply ejaculate sooner. Though there is no direct medical evidence connecting age and PE (note that the study mentioned above does not include men over the age of 59) the general medical reality is that as we age our bodies naturally begin to experience a decline in health.
To sum up, any or all of the three major causes may be contributing to your premature ejaculation problem. Each possible cause should be discussed with a medical professional who is best positioned to properly diagnose, advise, and treat the specific underlying causes.
What does the scientific research tell us about premature ejaculation treatment?
Though medical science has not discovered the exact cause of PE, they do agree on several important points.
- 1. The reason for the premature ejaculation needs to be identified. There are two types of PE, one which is the result of another medical condition causing the premature ejaculation, the other where PE is defined as being acquired or a lifelong type of PE. An example of premature ejaculation being a secondary cause would be psychological stress that is causing the PE. In cases where PE is a secondary cause, the treatment goal is to focus on the primary cause.
- 2. If premature ejaculation is categorized as an acquired or lifelong type, the use of prescription drugs is strongly recommended, along with treating secondary factors such as depression and low self-esteem. The general consensus is that the increasing the levels of serotonin is the first step in arriving at a satisfactory result.
One study published by the National Institute of Health reported that almost 75% of all men who were identified with PE were categorized as lifelong PE patients. Other results indicate that there are very few specific connections to premature ejaculation and the general health of a man:
An increased risk was present in men who:
- had higher levels of education
- were divorced
- had some type of social phobia (diagnosed or undiagnosed)
A decreased risk was found in men who:
- had diabetes (both types 1 and 2) but it was controlled
No association was found in men who had any of the following conditions:
- high blood pressure
- heart disease
- high cholesterol levels
- peripheral neuropathy
- central neuropathy
The study also showed that men who reported having premature ejaculation are less likely than average to have sexual intercourse, are less satisfied with their sex lives, and have a general anxiety towards having sexual intercourse.
You can see the many reasons it is difficult to point to a specific cause of premature ejaculation. Many of them are psychological, and even in the presence of what many people consider to be major illnesses such as high cholesterol and heart disease, they were not contributing factors to PE. You can generally conclude that the three identifiable related causes of premature ejaculation – higher education, divorce, and social phobias – all have high potential to add additional stress to a man’s life.
When looking at this brief summary of scientific research, you can conclude that if you are experiencing premature ejaculation there is a 3 in 4 statistical chance that your problem is not psychological, but physiological, falling into one of the two categories where increasing the levels of serotonin can have a major positive effect in treatment.
Home remedies for premature ejaculation
Evidence-based home remedies
The first part of discussing home remedies for premature ejaculation will be to use existing medical research that shows there are non-prescription solutions that can potentially raise the levels of serotonin in the body. This section has scientific research and evidence to support these methods, so they can be considered both effective and practical as a starting point.
- Self-induced mood changes – The way science measured the success of this method was through Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans. It is used in a number of ways, but here the idea is that changes to the individual cells in your body are analyzed by using a radioactive dye. Because it has been used in discovering brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s, it is a reliable instrument in measuring changes in the brain. With all that said, if you make a consistent and meaningful effort to change your mood from negative (depressed or anxious) to positive, the science says this can affect your PE symptoms positively.
- Exposure to bright light – The major source of vitamin D production in your body comes from when you are out in the sunlight. But it also has been suggested as a connection to an indirect source for the production of serotonin.
- Exercise – This and the next remedy are basic health principles you hear all the time from both doctors and health advocates. Exercise is generally good for you, and there are some studies that suggest increased levels of serotonin are present in the brain after strenuous physical exercise.
- Diet – The second part of this section will discuss specific foods and supplements, but here we will briefly mention the general issue of diet. You likely have heard about how the substance present in turkey, tryptophan, will make you sleepy. Well that same substance also has an established connection to increasing the levels of serotonin in the brain. Milk has more tryptophan content than turkey, so between the two you can have a simple lunch that will help to increase your serotonin levels naturally.
Variable result home remedies
This second part discusses supplements and foods that be purchased that will increase your serotonin levels. The reason for this limited selection is because we have shown that the existing medical research connects low serotonin levels with PE. Other foods and supplements claim to increase testosterone and other body hormones, but cannot be clearly connected to increasing serotonin levels or being effective in treating PE. The results from this list may vary from person to person.
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan)
Notice the tryptophan in the name? You can know that this supplement will increase your serotonin level, and while it does not claim to completely prevent your PE, it formula will help get you moving in the right direction. The manufacturer says that you will have to take between 200 and 600 milligrams per day for at least 10 days before seeing any significant results.
Ashwagandha is an herb that has been a favorite sexual dysfunction remedy used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for many years. It is used to treat the two most prevalent male dysfunctional problems – premature ejaculation and ED. The herb is said to prevent overstimulation of the libido, resulting in less stress. The recommended dose is 1000 milligrams a day taken with a meal.
- Ginger, Honey and Hibiscus Flower Essence
This is one of those truly old folk remedies. The ginger and honey combination both contain tryptophan, so we already know what that does. Preparing a mixture is as simple as making some hot water (1 cup) and adding some freshly sliced ginger to it. After 20 minutes, add a teaspoon of honey and a couple of drops of flower essence if you want. The best results are said to be obtained by drinking 2 or 3 cups per day.
Other alternatives to stop premature ejaculation
This short list of other alternatives includes prescription drugs and more conventional approaches to stopping PE. Pills other than supplements and prescription drugs are discussed in the final section.
- Prescription drugs
There are a number of prescription drugs your doctor can prescribe, including Dapoxetine, Paroxetine, Clomipramine, Tramadol, and Sertraline. There is also a prescription cream which is a combination of Prilocaine and Lignocaine that is also available in aerosol form. The vast majority of these drugs require you to take them anywhere between 1 and 3 hours prior to intercourse, however there are PE drugs that can be taken on a daily basis with minimal side effects.
This is mentioned here because the connection between increased levels of serotonin and a reduction in depression were discussed earlier. Using antidepressants under the supervision of a qualified physician can address the psychological causes of PE and the biological causes at the same time.
This method is easy to understand because what you do is buy a thicker condom that will decrease the sensation during intercourse, prolonging sex.
If you want to avoid any potential side effects from supplements or prescription drugs and remain au natural you can try the penis pump. The general idea behind the pump is to strengthen the pubococcygeus muscle, more commonly known as the PC muscle. This muscle controls both urination and ejaculation, so the stronger the muscle the more control you will have over your PE problem.You can try pumps and condoms in addition to any drugs prescribed by your doctor without worrying about potential drug interactions or side effects. This is also true with any of the previous home remedy solutions listed above.
Premature ejaculation pills
Finally, we come to the non-prescription PE pills available on the market. Throughout this article we have stressed the importance of the connection between serotonin and achieving positive results in solving premature ejaculation. But almost all of the serotonin “boosters” are drugs that are either licensed or prohibited to be used in over the counter PE solutions.
That leaves us with the problem of determining which of the available PE pills can actually do what they claim. PE and ED are both problems that frustrate men who are looking for solutions to fix premature ejaculation but keep on paying money for pills that never live up to their claims. So the goal is to find the best premature ejaculation treatment in pill form that most men will have a positive sexual experience with when using it.
ProSolution Plus is a pill that has undergone scientific research, with the results published in the American Journal of Therapeutics showing that men with PE had a 64% increase in improving their PE problem. Side effects of over the counter pills are always a concern for users, and the research shows zero reported side effects from using ProSolution Plus.
So why try ProSolution Plus when none of its ingredients are serotonin boosters? Perhaps the biggest reason is a recent 2017 study on Dapoxetine, an oral PE pill that showed men discontinuing its use because of the price. The study showed 3 in 10 men stopped using it after 12 months because it was just too expensive. There clearly needs to be more work done on a pill that will be both effective and won’t break the budget.
What ProSolution Plus does is takes the best and proven supplements available, and combines them into a pill that addresses the major causes of PE: stress, anxiety, and low self-esteem problems that are commonly found in the majority of PE patients. It also will increase your penis size and give you an overall boost in your sexual confidence quotient.
Because the positive effects of the ProSolution Plus ingredients will take time to build up in your system, the general amount of time required to see any significant benefits from its use is about 3 weeks. But taking a pill once a day to begin solving your PE problem for the long term is a small price to pay.
As for how much it costs, a 30 day supply can be purchased for an average cost of about $1 per pill. But unlike the prescription drug Dapoxetine, if you are not satisfied with the results you can get your money back. Guaranteed.
The choice is yours. You can choose ProSolution Plus premature ejaculation cure and get:
- a clinically proven treatment for PE
- a pill that can be used with virtually any lifestyle
- a product that, if it doesn’t meet your expectations, you can get your money back
- a PE solution that has zero side effects
You can buy ProSolution Plus online at their secure website, www.prosolutionplus.com, Amazon, and at GNC and Walmart stores.SummaryWe have given you a lot of information – and a lot to think about. Knowing what the problem is starts the process of finding a solution. There is an array of potential solutions to the problem of premature ejaculation, and medical science is headed in the right direction. Until there is a solution that works for almost every man, all the remedies in this article are worth considering to find the solution that is best for you.
My advice: Limit your risk of negative side effects, schedule an appointment with your doctor, and have a frank and open discussion with your partner to deal with all the potential components of the problem.